Interview with a Veterinary Receptionist

Ever wondered what it's like to be a receptionist behind the desk at a veterinary clinic? We interviewed a receptionist, Rainey, a woman in her mid-twenties from Middle Tennessee, to find out.


Image by Cedric Fauntleroy from Pexels

When did you start working as a receptionist at an exotic animal veterinary clinic?

"I started working here in the Fall of 2022. I got into this because I used to petsit a lot, but I moved abroad to study for a semester. I realized that I felt like something was missing when I was over there   I missed being around animals. I'd been pet-sitting so frequently in the States that once I was without it, I realized how much it meant to me. So I found another job where I can work with and help animals. Also, after a year working here, there's the option to be trained in as a vet tech, and I would love that."


Image by International Fund for Animal Welfare from Pexels

What does a typical day look like at the clinic?

"I do opening, so I get there between 7-7:15. I listen to voicemails from the night before, check the email for appointment requests, take note of phone numbers to call back, make the coffee, turn on the lights, and at 7:30 the day begins.

From 7:30-9, people drop off their animals for surgery. I check people in at the desk and page back to the vet techs to let them know people have arrived.

From 8-11:30 we have standard appointments, like animals coming in for annual shots, a dog coming in because she's limping, a cat coming in for constipation, etc. I check them in and out.

12-3 is surgery hour, where the veterinarians and vet techs are busy in the back doing surgeries and we aren't doing other appointments.

3-5:30 is back to standard appointments, checking people in and out, answering phones and emails."


Image by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels

What's the hardest part of the job?

"The hardest part is probably answering the phones. People are very passionate about their pets, which is a good thing, but it also means you see people at their very worst because if something is going on with someone's dog, who is basically their child, people are either kind and gracious; or they take out their fear, anxiety, anger, and frustration out on you. The receptionists are the front lines before anybody gets to the vets. So I have to say "Sorry, we're booked up," and people will tell me "It's an emergency, my dog has thrown up three times." All I can say is "I'm sorry we don't have the space, but I can refer you to another vet." People don't like to hear that.

I understand the owners are afraid, it's just hard to get yelled at several times a day. And it's not like that every day, most people are really nice and professional. But every now and then, you have somebody who is just scared and ends up being way too short with you. One person came into the vet later and apologized for how they'd spoken to me over the phone. Another person called back to apologize. It can be really emotionally draining."

Image by mbfrye from Pixabay

What's your favorite part of the job?

"Every now and then, somebody checks out and their hands are full, and you can just hold their puppy while they grab their wallet. Holding the animals is always cool. We have a lot of reptiles in the practice, and we take them out of their enclosures every now and then for enrichment. I can hold snakes, geckos, or even a bunny waking up from anesthesia. We also bring the boarders up front sometimes and let them run around so they're not in their kennels all day."

What is it that draws you to working with animals in this capacity?

"Helping an animal in need is really heartwarming. Being able to be there for an animal who's scared, or just knowing you're making a difference to make somebody's life a little bit easier. Owners come in frustrated and scared and you can talk to them and educate them. There's so much good in it."


Image by Gustavo Fring from Pexels

Has there been anything about working as a veterinary receptionist that's surprised you or taught you something new/unexpected?

"Basically, every day I learn new things. Especially because it's an exotic vet, so there's a big variety of animals we see. For example, birds don't do well with anesthesia. Gunina pigs get stressed out really easily."

What do you think people should know about this work?

"That it's awesome. It's so much fun to take care of animals and it's definitely hard, it can be really stressful, but it's very rewarding."

Is there anything else you'd like people to know?

"I'm very happy to be working in a field I care about and that I have the opportunity to learn so much from this job. Every day I learn something new about cats, dogs, pigs, goats, monkeys, snakes, or even axolotls, and that's a very fun and unique opportunity."


Photo by International Fund for Animal Welfare from Pexels



*Note: Some answers have been paraphrased for clarity.

Written by Skye I. R. Iwanski

Thank you to Rainey for consenting to be interviewed for this article.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Save the Claws & Paws Animal Rescue

How Do Insulated Dog Houses Work?

Summer 2023 Product Launch: Cat Palace, Palace Nursery, and Calming Beds, Oh My!